Esports, standing for electronic sports, is a competitive, multiplayer, video game played for prizes in front of spectators. Competitive and organized video gaming has grown from a five-man event for a Rolling Stone subscription to Esports teams competing in tournaments for millions of dollars in prizes. Please note, that when using the word gaming, in the Esports context, it is more meant in the sense of a competition than a video game. If you have ever thought about starting an Esports team at your school, here’s how!
How to Start an Esports Team at School
Esports in Schools
Esports programs in schools can make students smarter and more employable across a wide spectrum of careers including the medical field, engineering, and aviation. Competitive gaming can boost children’s strategic thinking, teamwork, leadership, and performance skills.
Start with the Basics
Focus on one game for now
When starting an Esports team, you initially do not want to form several teams for many games. Having numerous teams means you will have less time to spend managing and focusing on each one. Doing so will also lessen the quality of the team. Instead, when starting a high school Esports team, pick a single team for a single game. Build your first team to succeed before thinking about creating a second team.
How to select a game
You will want to select a game that you know as well as understand. It is vital to understand all the rules, characters, and objectives of the game. If you are planning on becoming part of the team yourself as a player or as a coach, it is crucial that you know the ins and outs.
Select a geographic area
- If possible, build a school team and gain experience competing in regional competitions and against other high school Esports leagues.
- If you recruit students from different schools, choose an area or city to represent.
- Selecting a smaller area when you first start an Esports team, will keep your costs down and optimize your time practicing with the team.
- It is important for camaraderie for members to be experienced during practices.
- Build up your local rank to the point that other schools or teams in your local area know what your team can do.
Establish your team’s identity and branding
- Take time to establish your team’s identity by making an effort to create the perfect Esports team logo.
- Having a great name for your team will also help build awareness and attract new people.
- A unique and creative name will also attract fans to your team.
- Avoid copying other logos or team names, as you could run into copyright issues.
- Your team’s branding could eventually help you find more players interested in playing on your team.
Find team members
- Do not bite off more than you can chew when creating your Esports team. Start small.
- Find a team of young people that are equally dedicated. Word of mouth is a good way to get other gamers to join. Fellow students might even know a person or two that would be a good fit.
Make sure you use the correct gaming hardware for your needs. When in doubt ask an Esports expert for help, even if it costs you a small fee.
Additional Information: Nebraska High Scholl Esports
Gamers Omaha, Lincoln NE, & Sioux City, IA – Game Store
Gamers is now buying, selling, and trading in popular Trading Card Game (TCG) such as Pokemon, YuGiOh, and Magic the Gathering! If you have cards you want to sell or trade for games we’re your go-to place!
So stop by your local Gamers store today! We will be getting new booster packs for all of these games in the next few weeks as well!
Gamers is a video game specialty store featuring new and used games, consoles, accessories, electronics, retro games, and other related gaming products. We buy video game products so you can upgrade your collection to the items you want now. Contact us today.